We know that the polar icecaps are melting and that there is a large hole in the ozone layer. Forgoing our thoughts on probable causes, we personally decide that we want to be more environmentally friendly and reduce our own carbon footprint. But how?
Wheelhaus prides ourselves on our small town roots in Jackson Hole, WY, and values the environment like no other. This paradise has taught us the true reason of why it is important to invest in taking care of our home. We have thus put together a few suggestions on how to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Buy local when you can. When you buy locally raised meats, grains and vegetables, you are reducing the consumption of gasoline required to transport your food.
- Buy in bulk when you can. When you buy packaged goods from the grocery store, the excess packaging immediately goes into the waste. You can eliminate some of your waste by buying from the bulk section of the grocery store.
- Recycle and compost your food. Recycling your food products into dirt will not only provide nutrients for your garden but will also reduce the amount of trash you produce. Recycle glass, cardboard, tin, aluminum, paper, and plastic means less trash in landfills as well as less consumption of natural resources.
- Eat less red meat. Red meat is particularly known for having a high carbon footprint.
- Buy reusable glass/plastic containers and bags. Avoiding plastic bottles that cannot be reused. Instead buying reusable glass/plastic water bottles will reduce waste in landfills as well as CO2 emissions. Furthermore, use reusable shopping bags at the grocery store to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Reduce your energy consumption. When you are not using the lights or heat, turn them off. A big contributor to your carbon footprint is the amount of waste in energy consumption that is used when you leave on the lights or turn up the heat beyond what is needed.
- Travel by foot when you can or by carpool and public transportation. You can reduce your carbon footprint by sharing rides or by not using gasoline and oil altogether.
- Use energy efficient building materials for your home. By using quality, energy efficient building products for your housing like Wheelhaus does in its mobile tiny homes, you are ensuring longevity, less energy consumption, and a smaller carbon footprint. For more information about these, you can visit the US Green Building Council website for the standards.
When we take care of our home, our home will take care of us. Reduce your carbon footprint gets you one step closer towards this end goal.